Just to keep up my end I have been doing regular release builds of Qgis lately. Then I had a look at some of the prettier shader applications in World Wind Java. Now I have new goals. I pulled out Render Monkey and the big thick GLSL Tome.
I have the following on my list:
- Layer opacity control via fragment shader
- Gradual layer transitions as user zooms in, basically eye distance based opacity
- Raster enhancement operations - such as RGB to Grayscale, sharpen, contrast stretch etc.
- The old favourites sun shading and day-night, this already seems to be there is a simple way in render monkey.
- Global fluid water layer, hopefully a simple spherical mesh with a simple vertex shader or varying bump map.