Yesterday I had the pleasure of observing EarthHour at Adelaide HackerSpace. We managed to make a few volts from various magnet and coils of wire contraptions. We have indeed come a long way in understanding electromagnetic induction since Faraday threw the magnet out of his wire coil in frustration.
The first set up used a coil and few magnets along the spokes of a bike. That produced way too few volts and there was talk about the joule thief. I had brought along one of my brushless DC motors and with 6-diodes forming a 3-phase bridge you could run it as a generator.
group is much more than the sum of the individuals forming it (in signal processing speak - there are cross-terms). The tools needed to work in different groups can be different. Hence I have ended up learning a fair few languages and currently a fair few version control systems.
Recently I set up Bazaar for the Lyx-Outline project on window. TortoiseBzr came to the party, but it did not solve the Launchpad authentication issue. I had to use Putty tools (PuttyGen and Pageant) to generate and lodge the ssh keys so that I could perform pushes to the repository. Hopefully this work will encourage me to write my thesis nicely formatted in Lyx.
detect depth has progressed slightly and acquired some robot os camera calibration code and a checkerboard. May be my quadcopter will be able perceive depth and fly by vision and landmarks much like a pigeon.